Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » Introduce Yourself

From the Sunshine state, your atheist minister.

• April 13, 2017 9:58 PM PDT

Odd how we find ourselves in these places. Never in a hundred years would I've guessed I'd be calling myself 'minister', mainly because it has been several years since I stopped holding religious or spiritual notions.

On and off through High School and college I tried some religions, until finally I came to the realization that it just wasn't for me in my early twenties. Instead, I allowed myself to peer into the cosmos and that which the sciences had to teach us about the Universe which we were part of. You may say that it's a religion; and perhaps it is. If I hold nature and evolution and the complexity of our DNA and our cells as the main leading forces in my life.
    The idea that I am composed of tiny organisms which carry out so many intricate processes so that I can write these words on a screen in a machine crafted by hands that took millennia to evolve into their current form through adaptation after adaptation brings me nothing but awe. I don't sing hymns, nor do I close my eyes and pray, but I feed my body and treat it right, 'cause in my mind it's the only one I am getting.

And I understand others have different connections with the world around them, and that's fine. But for me, human connections with humans and nature in mutual respect and admiration is the sum of our experience. Our bodies are our temples and knowledge is our guiding light to wisdom.

I am a vegan of four years; I work retail/customer service and I love horror films.

Through becoming a minister I hope to be able to, from a wholly secular/humanist perspective carry out whatever duties that tradition would normally dictate be directed by a religious figure. Marriages, mostly or even funerals. I especially want to be there for friends and those closest to me who'd like someone like me; someone they can relate to who can be there present during their most special and significant moments.

I hope to be able to grow here as a person and do things for my LGBT community and the community at large. 

• 37 posts
    April 14, 2017 4:51 AM PDT

Hi Camilo, 

Interesting journey. I'd like to have a chat sometime if you'd like. 

Joseph

• 32 posts
    April 14, 2017 7:36 PM PDT
    It is awesome the itadakimasu that leads to each moment.
    • 19 posts
    July 25, 2018 2:23 PM PDT

I am very glad to "meet you" Camilo. I sounds like we have much in common. Although I am new here,welcome to the community.