Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Background check with Phone number how convenient!

• 37 posts
    May 24, 2017 4:06 AM PDT

do you remember when you could look up someone's phone number without needing to get that person's criminal background as well, and for free? I have misplaced or just generally lost my Brother-in-law's phone number. So' I went to do a phone number search and Whitepages wants to provide me with all kinds of information about him including a criminal background check. For the mere price of $29.99 per month. I just want to call him up and wish him a happy birthday and happy memorial day as he is a US NAVY Vet. Gulf War 1991-1999. USS America CV -66. WTF! His Birthday was last Thursday and I forgot. Come on how is this fair? To me or to him?

• 12 posts
    May 24, 2017 6:24 AM PDT

I think that was proposed so that employers and interested date prospects could check up on individuals in question before hiring or dating repectively. If your brother in law is purposefully unlisted then I'm not surprised you would find these ads instead. Could you not have called a mutual friend or other family member for the number? 

• 37 posts
    May 24, 2017 7:40 AM PDT

Hi Amber,

Thanks for replying.

To answer, yes, as which I have, My Mom, gave me the number. It was just at 530 am when I as looking for it. Thought the inter-webs would help. I was partly wrong. 

Oh it's listed, just for the simple fee. Which would take me two hours labor to pay.

Dating? I've never requested a criminal check on someone I wished to date. If it were marriage there is a form of trust. If I need to run a check on my fiancee before we wed, well there is a doubt in my mind as to whethr she is worthy of my trust. Even the thought of doing so should provoke a red flag, maybe this is not the marriage for me. Not because she could have an issue she's hidden from me, but because I don't trust her enough to be open to me. 

• 3 posts
    September 19, 2019 11:54 AM PDT

I know this is an old thread, but I hope it's ok to add some input:

Quite a few years ago, after learning a family member had disappeared, I tried numerous sites- both free and paid.  Did NOT receive accurate info.  So on a hunch, I typed my own name in one, and got the address I'd lived at decades earlier.  I don't know where those sites obtain their info, but I didn't have any luck with any of them.

To answer Joseph's initial question-  yep, it wasn't "too" far in the past that a person could obtain someone's phone number, or address, or even the weather forecast, simply by dialing 0 for the operator.