Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » Comparative Religions

Does Anybody Care?

• 14 posts
    May 3, 2018 11:54 AM PDT
    I have raised this issue without a response, but I thought I would raise it one more time -

Often the quotes from Jewish scripture, what some call the Old Testament, that are provided by posters/bloggers are not accurate translations of the Hebrew text. Obviously the folks quoting the particular translation do not know Hebrew.

I'm curious how or why folks choose a particular translation so that they are comfortable believing the translation is accurate.

Thoughts?
    • 1 posts
    July 30, 2018 11:51 AM PDT

I doubt they really care whether the translation is accurate, or rather, that they bother to give any consideration to whether its accurate or not. I feel like most of the time there is a lot of confirmation bias involved.

Rather than looking to see what something says, they look for something that agrees with the point they bear some favor of.

• 14 posts
    August 1, 2018 2:59 PM PDT
    I appreciate that you took the time to read and post this response.
    • 19 posts
    August 24, 2018 8:47 AM PDT

I don't know about confirmation bias on the part of the reader, but "translations" are subject to interpretation especially when you're dealing with a really ancient version of a language. I know the KJV old testament itself has been "re-interpreted" at least once since the version I read (and questioned) as a child. Very few people can read or have access to the original "texts" and are dependent on "experts" for translation (each "expert" having their own confirmation bias, maybe, to slant the story or decide whether it belongs in the canon). Also, people aren't really known for thinking for themselves much. 

• 3 posts
    November 10, 2019 3:22 AM PST
    Most folks rely on translations because they can not read Greek or Hebrew. I am content reading a translation and the one I like the best is the KJV. I am old fashioned and I grew up reading the KJV.
  • October 15, 2021 11:28 PM PDT

Translation of documents from one language to another is very tricky.  Anybody that speaks two or more languages is aware of this.   When I was coordinator of the first chiropractic school in Brasil in 1998 I became very aware of this.   The intent of words from one language very often does not translate correctly.  This work must be left to the work of scholars in the appropriate field.   Now imagine the complexity and importance in a sacred document .  

Glad you raised this question again Rabbi.  You make a very relevant point.   Watered down versions can be a great blessing or a hindrance depending on who you speak to.  Unfortunately our generation wants to get spoon fed without chewing the material.

God Bless