Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » General Discussion

Doing More

• February 11, 2017 6:15 PM PST

I have been ordained for a while now and have only done weddings. I would like to do more with it like counseling, funerals, ect but I don't know how to go about starting this. Does anyone have any advise that may help?

• 12 posts
    March 31, 2017 5:56 AM PDT

The only advice I could offer would be to look at the books offered here in the supplies tab above, jot down the titles and then see if your local library might have some information for you. You can also google to see what might be out there. Talking to other local ministers might give you an idea on those functions as well.

• 37 posts
    April 1, 2017 11:45 AM PDT

[blockquote]margaret reynolds said:

I have been ordained for a while now and have only done weddings. I would like to do more with it like counseling, funerals, ect but I don't know how to go about starting this. Does anyone have any advise that may help?

[/blockquote]

Hi Margaret, Try forming a small group study. Bring together the people you've wedded and some friends and neighbors. Start simple just a study of some sort, like Bible, or Religious Book club, with prayer and maybe a light snack. Most imoportantly, Pray. With out Prayer your just a book club. 

Joseph

• 3 posts
    August 16, 2017 9:43 AM PDT

Create a facebook page that highlights your skills, credentials, titles and desires. Post pictures of weddings that you have done, say you are able to offer wedding services, funeral services/funeral rites and that you are available to provide counseling, wedding, funeral and other services. I like Joseph's ideas as well but since his advice seems to be geared more towards building a congregation or chuch and you seem to want to offer more service based activities my advice would be to create yourself a facebook page to get your name out there and advertise yourself and services.  Request to be friends on facebook with the following businesses or even go in person to ask permission to leave flyers or business cards with local senior centers and other churches, funeral homes, rape crisis or emergency crisis centers, schools, youth shelters, homeless shelthers, Planned parenthood, WIC offices or health department clinics, flower shops and wedding venues to advertise your services.  Visit local hospitals and nursing homes as many times they will let you walk through and visit with patients and residents who could always use an encouraging and uplifiting word and would love the visitors.

I hope that helps, God bless your efforts.